In a recent CRM Online project, I had a challenge that the users were not able to export all approx. 108,000 account records to Excel using the standard “Export to Excel” feature – nothing happened after they click “Export”.
We tried the dynamic worksheet option, but similar issue: Excel froze for a few minutes as it retrieved the records, and was still a blank worksheet afterwards…
By default, the maximum number of records that can be exported to Excel is 10,000. To change this limit, I used the free tool developed by Andrii Butenko which can be downloaded from http://a33ik.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/tool-that-increases-limit-of-record.html, and set it to 500,000. What the tool does is that it updates “MaxRecordsforExportToExcel” through code and CRM SDK.
However, even after increasing the limit, we were still unable to export the records, and nothing happened after clicking “Export”.
The issue seems to be with the timeout setting in Internet Explorer, that it thinks CRM has timed out as it generates the Excel file to be downloaded. We have succeeded running export of all records to Excel (about 150MB in file size) using Google Chrome instead.