There are times when I (or customers) require a specific version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM instance, and when configuring a new online instance, whether in an existing tenant or setting-up a new trial environment, what provisioned is always the latest version (2016 Update 1 at the time of writing).
Follow these steps to reconfigure or roll-back a CRM Online production instance to a specific version:
- Select a production instance to be configured/rolled-back to a previous version (in this example it’s version 2016 Update 1), and click EDIT.
- Under Instance type, select “Sandbox instance”, then click next and save to confirm.
- Now you will see more available features, including the ability to reset the instance. Click RESET.
- Select the new target version (e.g. version 2016 non-Update 1). As a rule of thumb Microsoft supports only the current version minus 1, i.e. 2016 and 2015. click next and save to confirm.
- Optionally, you can switch back instance type from sandbox to production instance.